Monday, September 16, 2013

The Electronics Maker Community

When identifying with the community, I found that many artist are attempting to push the limits of the technologies. I find it very interesting when experimenting with the medium that I am working with, particularly a new medium that I know little to nothing about. I enjoy breaking all of the “rules” put in place for specific medium areas, and one way I find this works well to do is to play with the medium before I know anything about it or what others say about it. I am excited to be working with this new medium and the possibilities that it offers. Looking at the examples of projects done using these sorts of electronics, I feel that I have an idea in what ways I could explore for a project. Though this particular area seems tedious with the code in particular. The community does seem to share a great deal of information on not only what they are working on, but also and importantly so, on how they are doing these projects. I feel that the communication in the community is very important and helpful, especially being new to this area. The community seems have very knowledgeable participants and very new and inexperienced participants though. There certainly are those in between, however when I was reading through forums on how to learn or fix something, the more knowledgeable participants seemed to look down upon those who show ignorance and misunderstandings in the replies with a sort of “this is obvious” attitude. This would be my only known criticism of the community however.

No comments:

Post a Comment